This is a sampling of my research activities. Hopefully, this
satisfies those of you who are curious about the way faculty
spend time outside the classroom. I have put a few of my papers here online.
Look for the blue links to the Acrobat files.
Primary Focus of My Research
I employ a customer focused framework to examine the design
and management of go-to-market arrangement. In contrast to the
conventional approach that relies heavily on comparing the
operational costs of the alternatives, this framework focuses on
the delivery of value to customers. There are three elements that matter; [S]afeguarding against under-investment of at-risk assets,
[A]dapting to risk of exploitation of at-risk party during renegotiations,
and tying payments to [M]easures so as to minimize losses from under-supply of
non-verifiable activities . The choice pivots on comparative merits of the feasible alternatives along these three dimensions.
Among the specific topics studied using this S-A-M governance cost
approach includes the following:
- channel selection (direct, third party or both)
- channel design (territory exclusivity)
- channel marketing programs (cooperative advertising)
- salesforce compensation (salary, incentive, or both)
- high tech marketing (alliances, licensing)
- digital marketing
I am listed as a "Highly Cited Researcher" in Business/Economics Category
at the ISI Web of Science
Selected Recent Presentations
- Transaction Costs Analysis
in Marketing: Looking Back, Moving Forward, Presented at American Marketing Association Winter
Educators' Conference, Austin, Texas, February, 2011
- Loss Aversion in Consumer Durables.
Presentation at INFORMS Conference, Austin, Texas, November, 2010
Aligning Channel Structures and Incentives to Promote Profitable Growth: What Works?
Presentation at Marketing Science Institute Conference, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, May, 2010.
Selected Publications in Refereed Journals
Research papers are presented at conferences, and published in
proceedings, books and refereed journals. The refereed journal
publications are generally considered the most significant
papers, as the peer review process is a pretty high hurdle.
Below, I have organized my publications in refereed journals by
their general area within marketing.
- Understanding Value-Added Resellers'
Assortments of Multi-Component Systems (with Sourav Ray, Mark Bergen)
Journal of Marketing, Forthcoming, September 2016.
- Transaction Cost Analysis in Marketing:
Looking Back, Moving Forward (with Torger Reve) Journal of Retailing, September, 2010
- When Should Original Equipment Manufacturers
Use Branded Component Contracts with Suppliers? (with Mrinal Ghosh), Journal of Marketing
Research, October, 2009.
Assessing the Consequences of a Channel Switch (with Xinlei (Jack) Chen,
Om Narasimhan) , Marketing Science, May-June, 2008.
- When Does
Vertical Coordination Improve Industrial Purchasing
Relationships? (with Arnt Buvik), Journal of
- "Understanding Participation Rates in Coop Plans in
Channels," (with M. Bergen), Journal of Marketing
- "Variations in the Contractual Terms of Cooperative
Advertising Contracts: An Empirical Investigation,"
(with S Dutta, M. Bergen and A. Rao), Marketing
Letters, 6 (1) 1995.
- "Understanding Dual Distribution in Industrial
Markets: The Case of House Accounts and Reps," (with
S. Dutta, M. Bergen and J. Heide), Journal of Law,
Economics, and Organization 11 (1) April, 1995.
- "Using Exclusive Territories When Dealers Can
Bootleg", (with S. Dutta and M. Bergen), Marketing
Science , Winter, 1994.
- "The Role of Dependence Balancing in Safeguarding
Transaction-Specific Assets in Conventional
Channels," (with J. Heide), Journal of Marketing ,
- Forward Integration into Distribution: An
Empirical Test of Transaction Cost Analysis,(with
B. Weitz), Journal of Law, Economics and Organization
, Fall, 1988.
- "An Empirical Investigation of Some Antecedents of
Opportunism in a Marketing Channel," Journal of
Marketing Research , August, 1984.
Selling and Sales Management
- Bonuses versus Commissions: A Field Study
(with S. Kishore, O. Narasimhan and Raghunath S. Rao) Journal of Marketing Research, June, 2013
- Understanding the Role of Trade-ins in Durable Goods Markets:
Theory and Evidence," (with Raghunath S. Rao, Om Narasimhan) Marketing Science, Sept-Oct, 2009.
Tests of An Agency Model of Sales Compensation,"
(with M. Ghosh ), Marketing Science 2001.
- "Sales Compensation: An Empirical Investigation of
Factors Related to the Use of Salary versus Incentive
Compensation," (with B. Weitz), Journal of
Marketing Research , February, 1989.
- "An Organizational Coordination Model of Sales
Compensation: Theoretical Analysis and Empirical
Test,"(with A. Weiss and B. Weitz), Journal of
Law, Economics and Organization , Fall, 1987.
Marketing Alliances and Relationships
- A Theoretical and Empirical Unvestigation of Property Rights Sharing
in Outsourced Research, Development and Engineering Relationhsips (with Stephen Carson), Strategic Management Journal, (forthcoming) 2013
Institutional Designs Within Marketing Value
Systems,"(with Stephen Carson,Timothy M. Devinney,
Grahame R. Dowling), Journal of Marketing ,
Special Issue, 1999.
- "Combining Market Experiments with Industry Data in
Transaction Cost Analysis: The Case of
Licensing,"(with S. Dutta), Journal of Law,
Economics, and Organization , 11 (1) April, 1995.
- "Do Norms Matter in Marketing Relationships?"
(with J. Heide), Journal of Marketing , April,
- "Alliances in Industrial Purchasing: The
Determinants of Joint Action In Buyer-Supplier
Relationships'" (with J. Heide), Journal of
Marketing Research, February, 1990.
- "Performance Outcomes of Purchasing Arrangements on
Industrial Buyer-Vendor Relationships'" (with T.
Noordeweir and J. R. Nevin), Journal of Marketing ,
High Technology Marketing
- Marketing In
Technology-Intensive Markets: Toward A Conceptual
Framework ", (with S. Dutta and A. M. Weiss), Journal
of Marketing, Special Issue, 1999.
- "Unbundling of Industrial Systems," (with L.
Wilson and A. Weiss), Journal of Marketing Research,
Research Methods in Marketing
Learning from a Service Guarantee Quasi-Experiment," (with Xinlei (Jack) Chen,
Julie M. Hays, Arthur V. Hill, and Susan E. Guers), Journal of Marketing Research, October, 2009.
- "The Reliability and Validity of Key Informant Data
from Dyadic Relationships in Marketing Channels,"
(with T. Reve), Journal of Marketing Research,
Marketing Strategy and Planning
- Strategic Fit in Industrial Alliances:
An Empirical Test of Governance Value Analysis (with M. Ghosh) Journal of Marketing
Research August, 2005.
Value Analysis and Marketing Strategy," (with M.
Ghosh) Journal of Marketing , Special Issue,
- "Organizational Structure Effects on the Credibility
and Utilization of Marketing Plans," (with J.
Martin), Journal of Marketing Research , May,
Form time to time, I get request for the opportunism scale used in my 1984 JMR paper.
You can download the relevant pages from my dissertation here .